Wednesday 17 October 2012

Moments

"Nice weather for ducks." Has anyone ever even asked ducks if they like the rain?

The past few days I have been witness to some events in the street which have brought a smile to my face in one way or another..

Last night, a young man skilfully rode his bicycle no-handed down the Oxford Road, smiling from ear-to-ear at passing strangers, dancing with his arms and singing an indecipherable tune. An older dapper looking gentleman walking beside me at the time shared some gestures of amusement and a hearty chuckle.

This morning, a young Asian women stopped in front of me, pointed at an old Asian woman in the middle of Broad Street and shrieked "YOU KNOW MY MUVVER!!".. Scaring the bejesus out of me and the old woman. (I didn't catch their subsequent conversation but I assume she did know her MUVVER.)

At lunchtime, a small child span around and around and around, like a falling seed in the middle of a busy street, right until dizziness overcame him and he fell over; at my feet. He proceeded to giggle and held his tummy as he rolled around on the floor.

Life is nothing but a series of moments and I hope a lot of them are like these.

Tonight, a number of moments were spent at the launch of the 46th edition of SOUTH bi-annual poetry magazine, at Reading Library. Some of the contributors / readers were twee and self-indulgent, however thankfully, a number were captivating. One gentleman's tale of the mementos one brings back from trips (tickets, maps, postcards etc) struck a high chord with me. Particular mention goes to the professional contributor of this edition, Carolyn King, who read a number of (personally) edifying pieces. I feel like I knew some of them, somehow, but have no idea how.

No comments:

Post a Comment