Friday 17 February 2012

Skirmish

Life update.

It's good.

Finally, I have had the time to get myself on the move to a humble new abode. This time it's in my home town, five minutes from work and I'll have a GARDEN / PATIO! Where I have been living for the past five years has grown around me; my previous career, friends and all the places that I've become involved with. Although it is depressingly dull when it comes to culture and beauty; it has a curious charm. In the Radio 4 series 'Mark Steel's In Town', I learnt that in the 1880's, local brewers frequently fought bloody skirmishes with the Basingstoke Salvation Army Corps.. One got so out of hand that the Mayor had to read the Riot Act and call in troops. In 130 years, not a great deal has changed. Despite the skirmishes and the lack of culture, I shall miss this place.

In further happy news.. A friend of mine has been able to rejoin his family and home after being away for some well needed rest and treatment. Mental health issues have such an unnecessary and unhelpful stigma attached to them. This stigma often prohibits people from seeking treatment, accepting medication and hampers their recovery. The recent TV adverts which try to demystify responding the those who have been suffering from mental health problems are a good start to bringing awareness to the public. No-one can ever truly empathise with another person's issues, but highlighting that most people don't have the psychological equivalent of the plague if they do run into problems will hopefully help those suffering. Thankfully my friend has an incredible partner and wonderful support network; so this mental health minefield hadn't affected him too acutely.

This weekend we'll be running a warm up half marathon around Eton boating lake.. And Sunday will be spent pondering the history of humanity in 100 objects (or thereabouts; as they've taken a number from display) at The British Museum, which I've been looking forward to alllllll week.

I hope you all have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment