Monday 5 December 2011

A new England


After seeing Frank Turner a few weeks ago, it's only right that I start listening to the original protest-come-love-story-singer-song-maestro - Mr Billy Bragg. If you recognise it, but not in this guise; it was  made famous by Kirsty MacColl (albeit with an added verse as KMcC thought it too short) in 1985. The lyrics tales of romantic loss were inspired by two passing satellites in the night's sky... Not sure about the "space hardware" rhyme, but the lyrics speak volumes to me.




I was twenty one years when I wrote this songI'm twenty two now, but I won't be for longPeople ask when will you grow up to be a manBut all the girls I loved at schoolAre already pushing prams
I loved you then as I love you stillThough I put you on a pedestalThey put you on the pillI don't feel bad about letting you goI just feel sad about letting you know


I don't want to change the worldI'm not looking for a new EnglandI'm just looking for another girl
I don't want to change the worldI'm not looking for a new EnglandI'm just looking for another girl


I loved the words you wrote to meBut that was bloody yesterdayI can't survive on what you sendEvery time you need a friend
I saw two shooting stars last nightI wished on them but they were only satellitesIs it wrong to wish on space hardwareI wish, I wish, I wish you'd care


I don't want to change the worldI'm not looking for a new EnglandI'm just looking for another girl

No comments:

Post a Comment