Sunday 11 December 2011

The fastest way back home (con'td)

I forgot to say that I was listening to this song, on my way back home..


And here is the link for Two Rivers Press. It's probably bad form to reproduce a poet's work without permission, so instead, here is a link to Paul Bavister's website. His poem "Earley" (yes, that's spelt write) envokes memories of walking around Earley and Lower Earley as a child "when it was all fields...". Unfortunately, that particular poem isn't on his site, but I know exactly where he writing about in his poem "Changing Names". It eloquently describes an area of east Reading, where two roads meet at Cemetery Junction.. Victorian terraces are held back from the river by the motorway bridge, which separates a business park from empty marshland and onto Sonning further east. Many friends of mine have lived here and some still do.

Poetry, to me, has always been about expressing an emotion or a moment in time - a look from a stranger or a sunrise, the longing for love lost or anticipation of a new love.. Reading words about places which I am so intimately aware of is a novel yet incredibly satisfying experience. It creates an instant connection between the reader and the writer through shared knowledge. I want to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment