Tuesday 14 August 2012

Lost poem

I have found a poem which I'd written for a competition some years ago. It was written about catching that first glimpse and touch of a person you care for dearly after travelling the trains of Europe for three weeks. The inspiration for the poem is an incredible person who I now, boastfully call my girlfriend. The title could do with some work, but the sentiment remains true to this day.

Love Train  

Passing footsteps and the clap of
the timetables snap me back, a final glance
had whispered across the speckled floor, a narrow
gaze which wouldn't suffice, for three long
weeks without your smile, wide and without excuse.

The click clack of bundles of life and presents
from hot streets stifle my ears, stretching to hear
the whistle, doors opening and bodies stretching
across the worn platform, wrestling with aching limbs.

Familiar patterns, arched neck with ruby red,
skipping beats and a drench of bee stings on my
neck, finally that smile meets mine, the world around
oblivious to sunset hair or translucent skin,
a delivery of elation.

No comments:

Post a Comment