Monday 16 January 2012

It's always the quiet ones

Surprising is how I could describe the time I spent talking to my best friend's girlfriend on Saturday night. She has always been the quiet one in the background whenever we're out, but this weekend she hugely came out of her shell and we really connected. We debated at great length and ferocity about subjects as abstract as the legalisation and classification of drugs, what is the best way to teach someone or to be taught (she's studying Psychology and I have a particular interest (without any actual knowledge, I must add) in the practical application of "learning"), music and relationships. For once, my best friend barely got a word in; which is an incredible achievement for anybody. (He did cook a bloody good chilli so he was forgiven for not contributing much to the conversation.. Ha.)

It's easy to write someone's cards in terms of who they are, what they are and what they're capable of.. To a certain extent, I think I did this with her. Or, maybe she's changed around me over the past year or so? With familiarity comes confidence. I find it incredibly interesting how people can surprise you. This time, it's in a hugely positive way. I'm used to people surprising me in a negative way, so it's refreshing. Despite forever being the optimist, a massive dose of cynicism is creeping into my blood slowly but surely.. It's good to have a stop check and reflect every now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment