Thursday 13 December 2012

Reading to Reading

Having starting to once again get the train to and from work in the past week; I have had the pleasurable experience of having the time to get through a few short stories. The first is a book given to me by a friend; E.M. Forster's The Machine Stops which contains The Machine Stops story but also The Celestial Omnibus.
The Machine Stops is a chilling tale written in 1909 foreseeing the move towards a society devoid and fearful of human interaction, where the "Machine" is omnipresent and there is a total disconnection from nature. It's interesting to see how much closer our society has come to this bleak way of life than was being experienced just over 100 years ago. Thankfully we're not quite there yet. We're much closer to Huxley's Brave New World's apathetic masses than the automated and joyous existence of Forster's vision. Don't forget to take your soma.
The Celestial Omnibus is the antithesis of The Machine Stops. A charming tale of a young boy's willingness to not accept what is expected of him and seek adventure despite the consequences. It's fantastical description of unexplored lands delivered in such a short stroke is a masterful act.

Although I've still got about thirty pages to go; All My Friends Are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman has hit me squarely between the eyes. A wonderfully witty and insightful way of describing the intricacies of human nature, individualism, the differences between us and what draws us together. Buy it. Read it. Pass it on.

After starting this book five or six months ago on a beautiful train trip to Sweden, I have finally finished The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared. Allan's nonchalant attitude towards life and everything that it throws at him is admirable. The way in which his life's story is told in parallel with his window climbing escapades keeps you flicking the pages and you can't help but chuckle at the sheer (entirely believable) ridiculousness of it all. Read it with an open mind and you'll love it.

Whilst on our travels, I read Paul Theroux's The Great Train Bazaar. Somehow he has helped me understand my Dad's slight-obsession with trains and all things train related, without actually stepping on a train whilst I was reading it.  Theroux describes how train travel is like no other way of getting from one place to another. A car demands input, attention and concentration. An aeroplane is sterile, faceless and impersonal. Whilst on a train you can interact with your environment and fellow passengers or simply sleep. Train travel gives you choices and I can see how whilst traveling through a variety of countries, this can have a certain magic and majesty. Despite being a grumpy traveler, the frequent hints of adventure throughout his four month voyage make for entertaining reading. I'll be picking up something of his again, hopefully on another adventure.

Aside of my recent literary choices; life's good. I am hugely missing Koh Tao and being under the sea. I've worked out that it's a mere £3,000 and three months of my life spent in a tropical paradise to get from my current Advanced level to that of an Instructor... Where's my piggy bank? Fortunately my flat has now gone on the market and there has been a lot of interested despite me not being available to show anyone around. I've got my eye on a nice little place in Caversham which I hope I will be able to Let out if I decide to bugger off for a few months, or years..

Listened to this about ten times this week.. "You are creating all the bubbles at play.."


Hugely looking forward to next Friday's Yule celebration at the Ankerwycke Yew. I'm in the process of writing something to read during the event. I've got sense of nervous anticipation about the whole situation, but I know I'm going to be surrounded by kind hearted people. And I'll probably will have had a skinful of mead by the time I come to read; Dutch courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment